Shelby, Texas was settled in the early 1840s and was named after David Shelby, reportedly the first settler in the area. Most of the early residents were members of the German Adelsverein. The actual founder of the town Otto von Röder, constructed a grain mill at the site around 1841. In the mid-1840s a small community began to develop and was known as Rödersmühl, or Röders Mill. In August, 1845 Röder sold the mill and many German families moved to the area. A post office opened in 1846 under the name Shelby. A singing society was founded in there in 1852, and the first school was built in 1854. In 1867 the town was the site of large singing festival that attracted German singing groups from around the state.
By 1884 Shelby had some seventy-five residents, served by three saloons, three general stores, two cotton gins, two schools, a blacksmith, and a saddle maker. Harmonie Hall was built in 1875 and remains a popular site for weddings and community events. The proposed power line easement appears to be adjacent to Harmonie Hall. Shelby’s Lutheran church was built in the 1880s. Shelby, Texas has many historic areas and landmarks, many of which can be seen here.